Serves 6 :
- 12 ounces dried baby lima beans (340 g)
- 1/4 pound pancetta (113 g)
- 1 stalk celery-1 carrot-1 medium onion
- 9 large cloves peeled garlic, divided
- 1 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes (794 g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
- 6 links Italian poultry sausage (683 g)
- 4 ounces PARMIGIANO-REGGIANO rinds (113 g)
- 1 pound peeled and cubed butternut squash (455 g)
- 1 teaspoon sage (1 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons rosemary (3 g)
- 1/4 cup flour (28 g)
- 3 cups chicken broth (354 ml)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 20 ounces cooked spinach, drained(567 g)
- Pick over beans, discarding shriveled ones.
- Place in a bowl and cover with 4 cups (1 liter) water.Soak overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 F(163 C). Roughly chop together pancetta, celery, carrot, onion, and 1 clove of garlic. Drain tomatoes, reserving juice separately. Slice tomatoes and set everything aside.
- Heat olivi oil in a large sautè pan set over medium. Add sausages and brown, 2 minutes each side. Remove pan from heat and trasfer sausages to the bottom of a 5-quart Dutch oven. Layer in rinds, drained beans, squash cubes, sliced tomatoes and remaining whole garlic cloves.
- Place sautè pan back over medium. Add chopped ingredients, sage and rosemary.
- Cook until softened, 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and mix well. Add reserved tomato juice and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper. Pour content of sautè pan over ingredients in the Dutch oven.
- Cover and bake 2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Carefully remove cheese rids and cut into small cubes. Return cubes to stew and stir gently. Divide cooked spinach among 6 soup bowls. Ladle a sausage and beans into each.
- Serve with additional grated Parmigiano-Reggiano al the table.