Serves 6 :
- 1 pound italian plum tomatoes (455 g)
- 3 onces PARMIGIANO-REGGIANO (85 g)
- 3 onces fresh arugula (85 g)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil (80 g)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (3 g)
- 16 leaves fresh basil, torn
- 1 teaspoon salt (6 g)
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar (15 g)
- 1 pound penne (455 g)
- Bring 2 gallons (7,5 liters) of water to a boil.
- Drop in tomatoes; then remove after 30-45 seconds.
- Save water to cook pasta.
- Peel tomatoes and remove core. Cut tomatoes around their equators squeeze out seeds.
- Dice tomato flesh into ½“ ( 1.25 cm) pieces and place in a large pasta bowl.
- With a vegetable peeler make thick shavings of PARMIGIANO-REGGIANO.
- When the cheese gets too small to shave, grate the rest.
- Put the grated cheese and ½ the shavings into the bowl along with the tomatoes.
- Wash and stem arugula leaves. Dry and tear into small pieces.
- Add to bowl along with remaining ingadients except the pasta. Toss well.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons salt (12-18 g) to the boiling pasta water. Cook pasta until al dente.
- Drain and immediately tss pasta with the sauce until well coated.
- Serve in pasta bowls and shower each with the remaining slivers of PARMIGIANO-REGGIANO.
- Add freshly ground pepper at the table. Serves 6